Public open call for the position of Director of the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea
Application deadline: August 20, 2015, 18h KST (UTC+9)
The Government of the Republic of Korea (Ministry of Personnel Management, Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism) is announcing this public call to fill the position of director of the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea, and encourages talented leaders in the arts to apply.
The National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea
Since opening in 1969, the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art (MMCA) has played an integral role in the history of contemporary Korean arts. Operating three branches (MMCA Gwacheon since 1969, MMCA Deoksugung since 1998, MMCA Seoul since 2013), the Museum carries out a wide range of programs to establish a close network between the branches and help each establish a unique identity.
MMCA is striving to develop into a world-class art museum, fulfill its public duties as a government organization and communicate with people throughout Asia and beyond thereby fostering a greater appreciation of culture and its value at home and around the world.
Position title: Director of the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea
Position grade: Fixed-term Grade B Senior Civil Servant affiliated with the Korean Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism
– To develop the Museum’s capabilities to a global level by strengthening international partnerships for collaborative projects and establishing national and international networks
– To improve the public image of the Museum by meeting the demands of visitors through enhanced services and providing a wide range of cultural programs tailored to different participants
– To reinforce the role of the Museum as a public culture and art organization by increasing its social contribution and strengthening its role in public education
– To oversee efficient management of the Museum by increasing the level of communication within the organization and developing areas of specialty that are unique to the Museum
1. Basic qualifications
Applicants must not be subject to any of disqualifications of the Korean State Public Officials Act.
2. Professional qualifications
*At least one of the following qualifications must be met:
– Have at least ten years‘ work experience in a field of art
– Have a doctoral degree in a field of art and at least seven years‘ work experience in that field subsequent to earning the degree
– Hold the position of a department head or above in a field of art with at least three years‘ work experience in that field
3. Other qualifications
– Have a wide range of experience and general knowledge concerning all fields of art as well as openness to diverse art trends
– Have strong leadership skills that will reinforce domestic and international networks and collaboration
– Have effective communication skills for both internal and external relationships
– Have the ability to be flexible in dealing with a rapidly changing environment
Duration and conditions of employment
Duration of employment: Three years
Working hours: 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday, 9–18h
Salary: Annual salary and bonuses
The basic annual salary is determined through consultation in line with the jobholder’s capabilities, qualifications and career record. Annual bonuses will be paid following an assessment of the jobholder’s performance in the previous year.
The examination process consists of document screening and interviews. Document screening will take place in September 2015, interviews in September or October 2015. Final results will be sent individually by email in October 2015.
Submit all application documents via email as attached electronic files to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: 18h on Thursday, August 20, 2015 KST (UTC+9)
(the deadline will be strictly enforced)
Inquiries: Lee Myeongjin, General Administrative Division, Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism, Korea (email@example.com)
Please make all inquiries via email.
For further information, please visit the original announcement at www.mmca.go.kr